thumbnail

By On April 25, 2018

Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action

Home Sabah National Business Sport Features Home / Sabah Local News Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action Published on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Kota Kinabalu: Incumbent Bingkor Assemblyman Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan is convinced that a bankruptcy notice issued against him will not affect his candidacy in the coming general election.

The bankruptcy notice was published in the Daily Express on Tuesday, with just four days to go to nomination day on April 28. Dr Jeffrey, who is also Parti Solidariti Tanahairku (Star) President, said he had asked his lawyers to take the necessary action to set aside the court action.

Party Sec-Gen. Guandee Kohoi, when contacted, also said he was convinced Dr Jeffrey's nomination as an election candidate will not be jeopardized by the bankruptcy notice.

According to the bankruptcy notice, Dr Jeffery has been given seven days from April 24 to settle RM480,408.50 to a businessman, James Lee You Cheong, in line with the Sessions Court judgement on March 9 this year.

Under election regulations, a candidate will be disqualified if adjudged to be a bankrupt, is of unsound mind or not a citizen of Malaysia.

Dr Jeffrey is scheduled to announce Star's election candidates on Wednesday (today).

He has hinted a move from Bingkor to face his older brother, Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan, in Tambunan.

The state seat is held by the latter who is also Parti Bersatu Sabah president. Dr Jeffrey has also been speculated to contest in the Keningau parliamentary seat where, in the 2013 election, he lost to Pairin in a straight fight encounter.

His party is in the Gabungan Sabah pact comprising also Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah, Parti Perpaduan Rakyat Sabah (PPRS) and Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP). Dr Jeffrey is the second leader in the four-party pact to have been issued with a notice of bankruptcy.

In September last year, Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah President Datuk Seri Lajim Ukin also faced the same situation reportedly over a RM185,000 debt with a local bank.

He was later cleared after paying up the debt to the Insolvency Department.

He is also scheduled to release names of party candidates to contest in the general election on Wednesday (today).

Dr Jeffrey's lawyer Tengku Fuad Ahmad said they have applied to the court to set aside the default judgement and the bankruptcy notice.

"We believe he may be using the election as a commercial leverage to recover an old debt and its unlawful," he said, adding that the debt claims were doubtful in the first place and were over 15 years old. - Nikko Fabian and Leonard Alaza

Related Story Kurup decides to stay out Warisan claims voters moved to strange areas Remembering the fallen Illegals: Warisan queried on silence Yap may be fielded again in Tawau Five-corner fight likely in Labuan Harapan to contest 41 seats Folks want Sarman to replace Tawfiq in Apas Balung protest over 'outside' candidate PKS candidate for Tambunan changes mind about contesting Rozman right choice: Suhaili RM20,000 bail for 'abusing' tenant's kid Taking upskirt photo lands man a week's jail News Categories Sabah Local News(14) National News(4) Business News(5) Sport News(5) Features Special Reports(0) Forum(11) Opinion(7) Most Read Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action Yap may be fielded again in Tawau Warisan claims voters move d to strange areas EPF invests RM4.86b in small, medium cap stocks Remembering the fallen Labuan karatekas emerge runners-up Unbeaten run comes to a halt Five-corner fight likely in Labuan Women's soccer tournament from May 12-13 TMJ hints at quitting football Advertisement © Copyright 2018 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. Powered by JuiceAPacSource: Google News

thumbnail

By On April 25, 2018

Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action

Home Sabah National Business Sport Features Home / Sabah Local News Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action Published on: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 Kota Kinabalu: Incumbent Bingkor Assemblyman Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan is convinced that a bankruptcy notice issued against him will not affect his candidacy in the coming general election.

The bankruptcy notice was published in the Daily Express on Tuesday, with just four days to go to nomination day on April 28. Dr Jeffrey, who is also Parti Solidariti Tanahairku (Star) President, said he had asked his lawyers to take the necessary action to set aside the court action.

Party Sec-Gen. Guandee Kohoi, when contacted, also said he was convinced Dr Jeffrey's nomination as an election candidate will not be jeopardized by the bankruptcy notice.

According to the bankruptcy notice, Dr Jeffery has been given seven days from April 24 to settle RM480,408.50 to a businessman, James Lee You Cheong, in line with the Sessions Court judgement on March 9 this year.

Under election regulations, a candidate will be disqualified if adjudged to be a bankrupt, is of unsound mind or not a citizen of Malaysia.

Dr Jeffrey is scheduled to announce Star's election candidates on Wednesday (today).

He has hinted a move from Bingkor to face his older brother, Tan Sri Joseph Pairin Kitingan, in Tambunan.

The state seat is held by the latter who is also Parti Bersatu Sabah president. Dr Jeffrey has also been speculated to contest in the Keningau parliamentary seat where, in the 2013 election, he lost to Pairin in a straight fight encounter.

His party is in the Gabungan Sabah pact comprising also Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah, Parti Perpaduan Rakyat Sabah (PPRS) and Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP). Dr Jeffrey is the second leader in the four-party pact to have been issued with a notice of bankruptcy.

In September last year, Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah President Datuk Seri Lajim Ukin also faced the same situation reportedly over a RM185,000 debt with a local bank.

He was later cleared after paying up the debt to the Insolvency Department.

He is also scheduled to release names of party candidates to contest in the general election on Wednesday (today).

Dr Jeffrey's lawyer Tengku Fuad Ahmad said they have applied to the court to set aside the default judgement and the bankruptcy notice.

"We believe he may be using the election as a commercial leverage to recover an old debt and its unlawful," he said, adding that the debt claims were doubtful in the first place and were over 15 years old. - Nikko Fabian and Leonard Alaza

Related Story Kurup decides to stay out Warisan claims voters moved to strange areas Remembering the fallen Illegals: Warisan queried on silence Yap may be fielded again in Tawau Five-corner fight likely in Labuan Harapan to contest 41 seats Folks want Sarman to replace Tawfiq in Apas Balung protest over 'outside' candidate PKS candidate for Tambunan changes mind about contesting Rozman right choice: Suhaili RM20,000 bail for 'abusing' tenant's kid Taking upskirt photo lands man a week's jail News Categories Sabah Local News(14) National News(4) Business News(5) Sport News(5) Features Special Reports(0) Forum(11) Opinion(7) Most Read Jeffrey not worried over bankruptcy action Yap may be fielded again in Tawau Warisan claims voters move d to strange areas EPF invests RM4.86b in small, medium cap stocks Remembering the fallen Labuan karatekas emerge runners-up Unbeaten run comes to a halt Five-corner fight likely in Labuan Women's soccer tournament from May 12-13 TMJ hints at quitting football Advertisement © Copyright 2018 Sabah Publishing House Sdn. Bhd. Powered by JuiceAPacSource: Google News

thumbnail

By On April 25, 2018

Disgruntled Boo launches tirade against DAP leaders

JOHOR BARU: Former Johor DAP chief Dr Boo Cheng Hau (pic) has launched a tirade against the party after he was replaced with his former protégé Tan Hong Ping as the candidate for the Skudai state seat.

The rift between Dr Boo and Tan has grown wider, with the two-term Skudai assemblyman accusing the Mengkibol assemblyman of stabbing him in his back.

Dr Boo also questioned the integrity of DAP leaders who encouraged Tan to do so.

"I didn't do anything to hurt DAP. I've never complained about spending money to cultivate my assistant but they asked my assis tant to betray me," Dr Boo said in a video clip dated April 22, which has gone viral.

"Asking the apprentice to defeat the master… you cannot find such vicious leaders in the world," Dr Boo said during a meet-and-greet with voters at a coffee shop.

Dr Boo also said that DAP had demanded for Barisan Nasional leaders involved in graft to step down, and that DAP leaders should also lead by example.

He warned of corrupt and unprincipled DAP leaders who had abandoned party principles.

"Those who are supposed to leave or resign from the party are the leaders who does not stand firm in its principles ... not me Boo Cheng Hau.

"Party leaders who are charged with graft should quit," he said," he said.

Dr Boo did not mention any names but is believed to be referring to party secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, who is currently on trial for graft.

Dr Boo urged voters to choose their leaders according to "ABC " or Asal Bukan Corrupt (as long as they are not corrupted) principles.

On April 14, Lim announced at a ceramah in Batu Pahat that Dr Boo's candidacy would be taken over by Tan Hong Pin.

Dr Boo also quashed talk that he would leave the party or contest as an independent candidate.

Related NewsSource: Google News

thumbnail

By On April 25, 2018

Najib mocks 'Malaysia's No. 1 actor' Mahathir

The prime minister points to the PH chairman's about-turn from criticising Anwar Ibrahim to working together with him.

Prime Minister Najib Razak says politicians must make a stand and stick to it.

JERANTUT: Prime Minister Najib Razak today described Pakatan Harapan (PH) chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad as the nation’s “No. 1 actor”, saying he was eligible for the Best Actor academy award.

Najib said this was evident from Mahathir’s change in stance, from vehemently criticising PKR leader Anwar Ibrahim and linking him to sexual misconduct, to making up with him in the pursuit of his personal goals.

“Lately, he went to the courtroom (during a hearing) to meet Anwar. I had to shake my head in disbelief, seeing his antics.

“We cannot accept such people. We must have a st and.

“In politics, it does not matter whether we win or lose, we must have dignity. He can resort to all this, but I cannot,” Najib said.


Source: Google News

thumbnail

By On April 25, 2018

Kayveas didn't resign, he was sacked, says myPPP

The party claims M Kayveas was sacked as the president as he had not consulted the party's supreme council on seat allocations.

VIDEO INSIDE

myPPP secretary-general Mohan Kandasamy says the party did not receive the resignation letter until early today.

PETALING JAYA: In the latest twist to M Kayveas’ resignation as myPPP president, the party has claimed that Kayveas had been sacked prior to his announcement that he was stepping down.

Party deputy secretary-general Simon Sabapathy said myPPP only received Kayveas’ resignation letter today but the party had decided to sack him earlier following a letter dated April 24 from Barisan Nasional (BN) secretary-general Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

The letter had apparently noted that several actions and statements made by Kayveas had the potent ial to damage the relationship between myPPP and other BN component parties.

“The letter seemed to imply that myPPP would be requested to leave BN,” Sabapathy said today.

“The party’s Supreme Council had a meeting and decided that Kayveas should not have acted on his own accord on something as important as seat allocations without discussing it with the Supreme Council.

“This is against the party’s constitution and so it was decided that Kayveas would be sacked.”

The statement by myPPP comes shortly after Kayveas had claimed that he resigned from the party and all of his posts effective two days ago. Kayveas’ announcement was made via his official Twitter account.

However, the party’s secretary-general Mohan Kandasamy, who first announced today that Kayveas had been sacked, said the party had not re ceived his resignation letter until early today when the decision to sack him had already been made.

Mohan also announced that party vice-president Maglin D’Cruz would be acting president effective immediately.

Kayveas had been lobbying for the Cameron Highlands parliamentary seat, won in GE13 by then MIC president G Palanivel. He had been on the ground organising programmes and meeting constituents.

The seat, however, will be contested by MIC Youth chief, C Sivarraajh, who had also been active in the Pahang parliamentary constituency.

Kayveas was offered the Segambut seat in Kuala Lumpur but he rejected it and said the offer was made too close to the election and it would be difficult to win the seat.

This led to rumours that myPPP would quit BN in protest, but Kayveas subsequently said that the party would remain in the coalition.

He also said that although he had rejected the offer to stand in Segambut, other myPPP members were welcomed to stand in the constituency.

Last week, myPPP’s Loga Bala Mohan was announced as the BN candidate for Segambut where he will take on DAP’s Hannah Yeoh.

However, Kayveas said he had not consented to Loga standing in Segambut.

Kayveas, a former deputy minister, became myPPP president in 1993. Presently, he is an adviser to the Transport Ministry, which is a post with a ministerial status.

Mohan also confirmed today that Loga would be contesting in Segambut.

Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season

MyPPP stays in BN despite not getting Cameron Highlands

Four minister-level top guns for FT seats


Source: Google News< /a>

thumbnail

By On April 24, 2018

Teacher arrested for allegedly molesting eight-year-old girl in Miri

MIRI: The police have detained a primary school teacher in Batu Niah for allegedly molesting an eight-year-old Standard Two schoolgirl.

Sarawak CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Dev Kumar said the suspect, who is in his 40s, was picked up at the compound of the Miri police station at 3.30 pm on Tuesday.

"It is believed that the girl had been continually molested since she was in Standard One," he said in a statement.

SAC Dev said the alleged incident came to light when the victim told her 26-year-old mother that the suspect had been allegedly molesting her in the classroom behind the teacher's desk, which led to a police report being lodged this month. â€" Bernama

Related NewsSource: Google News

thumbnail

By On April 24, 2018

Kayveas steps down as myPPP president

Former deputy minister had been unhappy over not being selected as the BN candidate for Cameron Highlands.

M Kayveas has also resigned as the party’s Federal Territories chairman and advisor to the Perak myPPP exco. (Facebook pic)

PETALING JAYA: M Kayveas today announced that he had resigned from his position as myPPP president effective April 23.

In a tweet, the former deputy minister also said he had stepped down as the party’s Federal Territories chairman and advisor to the Perak myPPP exco.

“I have stepped down from the three positions I hold,” he told FMT.

His announcement followed his public show of dissatisfaction over not being named as Barisan Nasional’s (BN) candidate f or Cameron Highlands.

Kayveas had been lobbying for the seat, won in the last general election by then-MIC president G Palanivel, and had been on the ground organising programmes and meeting with constituents.

However, the seat was given to MIC Youth chief C Sivarraajh who had also been active in the Pahang parliamentary seat.

Kayveas was given the Segambut seat in Kuala Lumpur but turned it down, saying it would be difficult to win there as the appointment came too close to the election.

This sparked rumours that myPPP would leave BN in a show of protest, although Kayveas subsequently said it would remain in the coalition.

He added that the Segambut seat would be open to other myPPP members to contest.

Kayveas became myPPP president in 1993. He is presently an advisor to the transport ministry, which is a ministerial status post.


Sour ce: Google News