Remand order for two including Azmin's nephew extended (Updated)
Thu, Dec 7, 2017
- Next Gen
- Going Viral: Is It True?
- Balan-ced Views
- Just Johor
- Let's Get Real
- This N That
- On My Mark
- Beyond The Wall
- Citizen Nades
- CR Talk
- Inside Write
- Know Your Rights
- Law Speak
- Local Counsel
- Just Different
- Making Sens
- My View
- Off The Cuff
- On The Othe r Hand
- Policy Matters
- The A to Z of English
- TheSun Says
- Wildlife Matters
- Property Archive
- Post Grad
- Media & Marketing
- Photo Gallery
- Photo Wall
PUTRAJAYA: The remand period for two men including Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali's nephew and a company director was extended for three more days instead of the requested seven by the magistrate's court, here today.
Magistrate Norhidiyati Mohammad Nasroh allowed the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission's (MACC) application for the extension of the remand, to facilitate further investigations into alleged bribery on the issue of illegal sand mining activities in Selangor .
The remand is expected to end on Dec 8.
While two others, a company director and site manager were released on MACC bail of RM15,000 and RM10,000 with one surety each respectively.
Mohamed Azmin's nephew and three others, aged between 34 and 67, had been under MACC detention after the magistrate's court initially granted a seven-day remand order on Nov 30.
Following the arrests, the MACC also froze RM4 million in several bank accounts belonging to a mining company, which has operated since 2014.
Meanwhile, the Selangor Mentri Besar's office has branded the latest extension of the remand by the MACC as an "intimidatory" act with a political agenda.
Its strategic communications director Yin Shao Loong said the latest development only showed that the commission has no basis in their investigations into alleged bribery on the issue of illegal sand mining activities in the state.
"MACC's application to extend the remand period for both men up to seven days failed after the magistrate's court rejected it."
Yin said that MACC's investigations and efforts to extend their remand period are aimed at ruining the image of the Mohamed Azmin, ahead of the 14th General Election.
"The use of power by MACC's top leadership to attack the Selangor Mentri Besar by associating his family members only spoils the image of the MACC as a body free from the Prime Minister's pressure," he added.
- Illegal sand mining operation could have cost the govt millions in losses: MACC
- Stop politicising arrest of nephew, Noh Omar tells Azmin
- Azmin: How did Umno bloggers know ahead of alleged illegal sand-mining? (Updated)
- Belittling Perak govt shows Azmin's arrogance and rudeness: Zambry
- Azmin prepared to be investigated again regarding property ownership
- When all is not well Freespace FOR those of us who grew up in the early millennium, chances are that the band Linkin...
- Happy 100th birthday, Finland My View THE Bulan Bahasa Kebangsaan (National Language Month) ended last week. I am saddened by...
- Enforce parking rules sensibly Local Counsel RECENTLY in Penang Island, a car was clamped by a local council officer after a wom an...
- Not a good idea to whack UiTM On The Other Hand A LITTLE disclosure first â" I lived in Shah Alam for 30 years. From kindergarten to...
- Has Pogba cost Devils the title? Inside Write WHEN Alex Ferguson left the Manchester United hot seat he wondered if another generation...
- Donât wait for trade deals Policy Matters The secretary-general of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (Miti), Datuk...