Malaysian plane skids off runway in Nepal; close shave for 139 on board
- Malaysian plane skids off runway in Nepal; close shave for 139 on board
The aircraft has not suffered any damage but the front tyre has been stuck in the mud. The runway was closed following the incident.Officials check an aircraft belonging to Malindo Air that skidded off the runway during take off last night at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu, Nepal. (Source: REUTERS) Related News
- Russian President Vladimir Putin vows to help MH17 crash probe, press rebels
- MH17 tragedy: No leads yet as investigators comb through Malaysian plane crash site; at least 298 killed
- Swapping shift cost ethnic Indian flight steward his life
All 139 people on board a Malaysian passenger plane had a miraculous escape when the Kuala Lumpur-bound flight skidded off the runway and got stuck in mud while attempting to take off from Nepalâs only international airport here, officials said.
Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) was forced to halt all international flights after the incident involving Malindo Air jet late last night, The Kathmandu Post reported.
TIA today resumed international flight operations after a suspension of over 12 hours, the report said. At least a dozen of international flights were cancelled after the incident.
There were 139 people, including four crew members, on board the aircraft, Boeing 737-900, registration 9M-LNJ. No casualty has been reported, the report said.
âThe flight captain aborted take off at the final moment after he saw an error at the monitor inside the cockpit,â TIA general manager Raj Kumar Chettri said quoting the captain.
The aircraft apparently could not stop because of the take off speed and load at the final moment and overran 50 metre south from the runway threshold and rested in a grassland at around 22:08 PM (local time), Chettri said.Nepalâs international airport remained closed on Friday after the passenger plane attempting to take off skidded off the runway. (Source: AP)
The runway was closed following the incident. However, the aircraft has not suffered any damage but the front tyre has been stuck in the mud. Chhetri said the aircraft was towed away from the grassland to the runway and kept at the parking area.
He further informed that the airport runway did not suffer any damage during the incident and all international flights have resumed. The latest incident is one of the many plane accidents that Nepalâs TIA has witnessed in recent years.
Last month, a Dhaka to Kathmandu US-Bangla Airlines flight, with 67 passengers and four crew members on board, caught fire after it careened off the runway and ploughed into a football ground near TIA, killing 51 people.
In 2015, a Turkish Airlines plane also suffered a runway excursion during landing, closing the airport for four days, creating chaos among travellers.
For all the latest World News, download Indian Express AppMore Related News
- Timeline: Airliners that have been shot down
- Narendra Modi condoles loss of lives in Malaysian plane tragedy
- 1Super Cup 2018 Final Highlights: Bengaluru FC thrash East Bengal 4-1 to lift inaugural Super Cup trophy
- 2LIVE UPDATES: Opposition parties give notice for impeachment of CJI, Jaitley calls it 'threat to judicial independence'
- 3Bharat Ane Nenu movie review: Mahesh Babu film doesn't quite live up to the promise
- 4'Modi go home' posters greet PM Narendra Modi in London
- LIVE UPDATESImpeachment motion against Chief Justice of India: Arun Jaitley terms it 'threat to judicial independence'
- Started process to amend POCSO Act to ensure death for child rapists: Centre to Supreme Court
- Petrol prices touch nearly five-year high: Rs 74.08 per litre in Delhi, Rs 81.94 per litre in Mumbai
- OpinionMuslims face rapid socio-economic decline. Yet, any move in their favour is made to look illegitimate
- OpinionPM Modi's response to Kathua and Unnao highlights an absence of moral leadership
- EntertainmentBharat Ane Nenu movie review: Mahesh Babu film doesn't quite live up to the promise
- EntertainmentRanbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone reunite at Mijwan Fashion Show 2018
- EntertainmentPuzzle trailer: Irrfan plays the philosophical puzzle solver
- TrendingIPL 2018: Virender Sehwag posts 'If You Don't Love Me' meme for Chris Gayle after his stormy century
- TrendingCCTV Video: SHOCKING moment when bus misses GIRL's HEAD by inches when PRANK goes wrong